Happy April Digital Sisters!
This month, Digital Sisterhood Network (DSN) is promoting the theme, “Giving Birth to Your Creativity” as a Creativista. What are you giving birth to this year?
Today’s blog invites you to explore who you are as a Creativista. Check out the Creativista Profile below. It is an excerpt from Ananda Leeke’s new book, Digital Sisterhood: A Memoir of Fierce Living Online.
A Creativista is a woman who gives birth to creativity (art, books, content, films, mobile apps, products, services, webisodes, and videos). If you identify with one or more of the Creativista’s characteristics, please check out the Creativista Manifesto collage below. Consider making one to jumpstart your writing process. All you need are some of your favorite magazines, construction or poster board paper, scissors, and glue sticks. Look for words, phrases, and images that represent your definition of a Creativista. Paste them on to your paper. If you need to write some of your words and phrases, use magic markers, crayons, or pens. After you finish the collage, give yourself a few days to look at it. Record any thoughts you have while looking at it. Use them as writing prompts for your Manifesto. Feel free to use the one contained below as a sample or adopt it as your own.
Creativista Collage by Ananda Leeke
I am a woman who makes beautiful things. I embrace Virginia Woolf’s wisdom: “No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anybody but oneself.” I create a life I love. It starts with a desire to chase what moves me the most. I discover it. I live it. I own it. I add my own scenery. I am colorful. I use my voice. I express myself. I take a deep breath and dream big. I rediscover myself. I am intuitive, open-minded, imaginative, adventurous, and curious. I am creative inside and out!
Chakra Connection (click here to learn more about chakras):
Creativista’s energy is connected to the:
§ Sacral, or second chakra, which corresponds to creativity, pleasure, sexuality, and well-being. It governs the bladder, circulatory system, and sexual and reproductive organs.
§ Solar plexus, or third chakra, which corresponds to willpower, persistence, self-worth, self-confidence, and self-esteem. It governs the stomach, small intestine, liver, gallbladder, and spleen.
§ Heart, or fourth chakra, which corresponds to love, joy, harmony, and inner peace. It governs the heart, chest, lungs, and circulation.
§ Throat, or fifth chakra, which corresponds to communication, expressions of feelings, and the truth. It governs the throat, ears, nose, teeth, mouth, and neck.
§ Third-eye, or sixth chakra, which corresponds to intuition, imagination, wisdom, and the ability to think and make decisions. It governs the eyes and base of the skull.
Color Connection (click here to learn more about colors):
Wear or surround yourself with the colors orange (second chakra), yellow (third chakra), green or pink (fourth chakra), light or sky blue (fifth chakra), and indigo blue (sixth chakra) to connect with Creativista’s energy.
Wear or surround yourself with amber or carnelian (second chakra), citrine or tiger’s eye (third chakra), aventurine or rose quartz (fourth chakra), turquoise (fifth chakra), and lapis lazuli (sixth chakra) gemstones to connect with Creativista’s energy.
Goddess Connection (click here to learn more about goddesses):
Creativista is connected to the goddesses mentioned.
§ Oshun, the Yoruba goddess of creativity, and Sarasvati, the Hindu goddess of the arts (second chakra)
§ Al-Uzza, the Arabian goddess of confidence, vigilance, and preparation; Amaterasu, the Japanese sun goddess of royal power; Durga, the Hindu warrior goddess; and Sekhmet, the Egyptian warrior goddess (third chakra)
§ Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love; Erzulie, the Haitian goddess of love; Kwan Yin, the Chinese goddess of compassion; and Venus, the Roman goddess of love, (fourth chakra)
§ Vach, the Hindu goddess of speech and communication (fifth chakra)
§ Tara, the Tibetan goddess of wisdom (sixth chakra).
Yoga Connection (click here to search Yoga Journal’s web site for instructions on how to do the poses below):
Practicing bound angle, downward facing dog, triangle, and wide angle poses (second chakra); bow, boat, warrior one, warrior two, warrior three, sun salutation, and all twisting poses (third chakra); camel, cat, cobra, fish, sphinx, upward facing dog, and upward facing bow poses (fourth chakra); bridge, fish, lion, plow, and upward plank poses (fifth chakra); and bridge, child’s, downward facing dog, shoulder stand, and standing half forward bend poses (sixth chakra) can help you connect with Creativista’s energy.
Badge Design by Dariela Cruz
During Digital Sisterhood Month 2012 and 2013, the women listed below were named Creativista Digital Sisters of the Year. Take a few minutes to learn about them. They are great Creativista virtual mentors.
2012 Digital Sisters of the Year
- Ayoka Chenzira, digital media artist, filmmaker, founder of OrdinaryDayActs.com and Spelman College’s Digital Moving Image Salon, and professor
- Joy Cho, author, designer, and founder of Oh Joy! blog
- Dariela Cruz, co-founder of Dari Design Studio and founder of MamiTalks.com
- Leah Piken Kolidas, artist and founder of Art Every Day Month and CreativeEveryDay.com
- Claire Dee Lim, founder of “The Power Object” webisode series
- Arielle Loren, founder of Corset Magazine
- Kathy Cano-Murillo, author and founder of CraftyChica.com
- Stephanie Piche, founder of Mingle Media TV
- Felicia Pride, author and founder of The Create Daily and Pride Collective
- Issa Rae, founder of “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl” webisode series
- Kelly Rae Roberts, artist, author, and founder of KellyRaeRoberts.com
- Jessica Solomon, founder of Art In Praxis: Theory+Practice/Art=New Worlds blog and The Saartjie Project
- Daryn Strauss, founder of Digital Chick TV and “Downsized” webisode series
- Mindy Tsonas, artist and founder of WishStudio.com
2013 Digital Sisters of the Year
- Abake Adenle, Founder of Speak Yoruba mobile app
- Michelle Bonilla, Co-Founder of FailingUpwardsTheSeries.com
- Kesha Bruce, Artist and Founder of KeshaBruceStudio.com
- Diane Cu, Co-Founder of WhiteonRiceCouple.com and Photographer
- Ava DuVernay, Filmmaker and Founder of African-American Film Festival Releasing Movement
- HaJ, Founder of Tickles.TV and Co-Founder of HERadventure.com
- Philippa Hughes, Founder of PinkLineProject.com
- Lily Liu, Founder of PublicStuff mobile app
- Chanel Martin, Co-Founder of Myavana mobile app (formerly Madame You) and Techturized
- Susan Miller, Co-Founder of AnyoneButMeSeries.com
- Candace Mitchell, Co-Founder of Myavana mobile app (formerly Madame You) and Techturized
- Numa Perrier, Co-Founder of Black & Sexy TV
- Anita Sarkeesian, Founder of FeministFrequency.com web series
- Jess Walton, Co-Founder of Myavana mobile app (formerly Madame You) and Techturized
- Tina Cesa Ward, Co-Founder of AnyoneButMeSeries.com
Cover Art by Dariela Cruz
Visit Amazon.com to read about and purchase Ananda Leeke’s Digital Sisterhood: A Memoir of Fierce Living Online (available for Kindle and as a paperback). The book includes a list of the 2010, 2011, and 2012 Digital Sisters of the Year. It also features an appendix that helps you explore and identify Creativista and the six other Digital Sisterhood Leadership Archetypes. The interactive exercises encourage you to journal your thoughts in the book’s notes section.