Reading Edwidge Danticat’s words has been the best way for me to prepare for my travel adventures to Haiti as a Heart of Haiti blogger ambassador. Danticat is a Haitian novelist, producer, activist and author of two of my favorite books, Breath, Eyes, Memory and Create Dangerously. I read Breath, Eyes, Memory while writing my debut novel Love’s Troubadours – Karma: Book One a few years ago. I am almost done reading Create Dangerously. Click here to watch a video of Danticat talking about Create Dangerously. This evening I will return to reading Walking on Fire: Haitian Women’s Stories of Survival and Resistance edited by Beverly Bell with the hope of finishing it while I am in Haiti. These books have opened my heart even wider to Haiti’s beauty, complexity, creativity, culture, and legacy of independence, resilience, suffering, and survival. I encourage you to check them out!
One of the best things about my Heart of Haiti blogger ambassador trip is the dynamic group of digital sisters I am traveling with. I am so excited about spending time with the following ladies:
- Sloane Berrent, Humanitarian, Kiva Fellow, and Founder of The Causemopolitan,
- Laura Ciocia, Senior Digital Strategist at Everywhere,
- Deana Jirak, Designer and Photographer,
- Danica Kombol, Managing and Founding Partner at Everywhere,
- Johnica Reed, Travel Tastemaker, Writer, and Founder of leisureStrategy,
- Willa Shalit, Artist, Author, Co-Founder of V-Day, CEO of Fairwinds Trading, and Founder of Touch Foundation, and
- Heather Whaling, PR/Social Media Expert and President of Geben Communication.
Yesterday, Laura Ciocia wrote an amazing blog post about our upcoming trip. Click here to read it. Also, check out blog posts by Sloane Berrent and Heather Whaling. They bubble with passion and excitement!
Visit the sites below to stay updated on our travel experiences in Haiti this weekend.
I will post a series of audio blogs on Cinchcast, photos on Flickr, and videos on YouTube and Vimeo about my trip next week. Please join me and Sloane Berrent for a live chat about our Haiti experiences on March 5 at 8:00 pm ET on Vokle. Click here to register and/or watch the video chat. We will be using Twitter and the #HeartofHaiti hashtag during the chat too.