The first week of Digital Sisterhood Month 2010 ended with me attending a local DC TED Women event – on December 7, 2010. The event was co-sponsored by Melanie Spring, Amy Liz Martin, and Nicolette Pizzitola at Nicolette’s offices. These three women brought together a group of approximately 13 digital sisters and one digital brother to watch the TED Women’s webcast which featured a group of dynamic women a and men speakers who gave short talks about how women and girls are reshaping the world. It was an amazing afternoon and evening. It was just the kind of Digital Sisterhood Month outing I needed to keep myself moving through December!
Click here to listen to my audio blog re-cap about the speakers I admired.
Click here to see photos of the DC TED Women event.
I have included some of my favorite tweets by women who attended the DC TED Women event and photos of several TED Women speakers (photos were taken by James Duncan Davidson for TED).
Favorite TED Women Tweets:
- @tbdunmasked: Tony Porter – thank YOU for breaking out of the Man Box and inviting others to do so. #TEDWomen first standing ovation. Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:59:08 PM via HootSuite
- @TEDWomen: Elizabeth Lesser is deeply disturbed by the way cultures are demonizing “the other” #TEDWomen Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:43:35 PM via HootSuite Retweeted by NicPiz
- @NicPiz: Elizabeth Lesser suggests new movement to counter our habit of ‘otherizing’ – the take the other to lunch movement Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:46:47 PM via TweetDeck
- @TEDWomen: Tony Porter: My liberation as a man is tied to your liberation as a woman. #TEDWomen Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:41:48 PM via HootSuite
- @Sisarina: When a coach says ‘you play like a girl’ why does it destroy a man? What are we teaching guys about girls? #TEDWomen Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:32:56 PM via TweetDeck
- @Sisarina: .@monaeltahawy learned that Orthodoxy was much kinder to men than women so she became Liberal Muslim. #TEDWomen Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:08:28 PM via HootSuite
- @Sisarina: I totally can’t do @monaeltahawy justice. She’s ridiculously incredible. #TEDWomen#WOW Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:08:06 P via
- @kristasande: Mona Eltahawy #TEDWomen: “This is an incredibly exciting time to be a Muslim woman.” Tuesday, December 07, 2010 6:05:50 PM via web Retweeted by NicPiz and 1 other
- @NicPiz: Sheryl Sandberg is so on target – love hearing a C level exec with this message! Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:50:57 PM via TweetDeck
- @NicPiz: Messages 4 women who want to stay in the workforce:Sit at the table.Make your partner a real partner.Don’t leave before you leave. #TEDWomen Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:48:29 PM via TweetDeck
- @NicPiz: Courtney Martin, Feministing #TEDWomen mother told her “I will not stand for your desperation.” 5:37 PM Dec 7th via TweetDeck
- @NicPiz: Courtney Martin, Feministing – “we don’t want just one hero.” #TEDWomen – YES! 5:35 PM Dec 7th via TweetDeck
- @healthpolicygrp: Pres Ellen Johnson Sirleaf: I’ve been a *Victor* of circumstances. #TEDWomen Video Q&A posted http://bit.ly/esob8g ht @TEDxDeadSea @NicPiz 3:36 PM Dec 7th via Mobile Web Retweeted by NicPiz and 1 other
- @Sisarina: Embrace the differences between women & men. It’s not either/or. Embrace the balance. Just do good business. – Halla #TEDWomen 3:44 PM Dec 7th via HootSuite
- @jbhertel: Lisa Witter: “Women want to give because they want to feel connected.” #TEDwomen 3:34 PM Dec 7th via TweetDeck Retweeted by NicPiz
- @NicPiz: Halls Tomasdottir #TEDWomen. We believe in profit with principles. We care how we make profits. 3:26 PM Dec 7th via TweetDeck
- @NicPiz: Ellen Johnson Sirleaf – I’ve been a victor of circumstances #TEDWomen – brilliant! 3:20 PM Dec 7th via TweetDeck
- @NicPiz: Hanna Rosen #TEDWomen forget the glass ceiling – the high bridge is a better image. (spot on!) 3:06 PM Dec 7th via TweetDeck
TED Women Speakers I Admired: